BFMS Events and Schedules
Please check the individual pages for details!
You can see a Complete list of Events here or follow the links on this page to the individual event pages.
Ever wonder who the band or caller was a few weeks ago?
Check the listing of Past Events to find out.
Saturday, May 28 2016
The Baltimore Folk Music Society welcomes famed New England band Swallowtail to Baltimore once again for an evening of challenging contras.
Featuring: George Marshall - (bodhran, concertina), Ron Grosslein - (fiddle, mandolin),Tim Van Egmond - (hammered dulcimer,)Timm Triplett - (piano)
David Cantieni - (flute, whistles, bombard)
With calling by George Marshall and Tim Van Egmond This is one of the nation's most popular and sought-after bands, known for high energy music and smooth grooves. The dances called will be of the more challenging variety, with smooth flow and figures that get you moving.
The dance will be held at the Church of the Reedemer - 5603 N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21210
The dance starts at 7:30 PM.
Purchase your tickets on-line or at the door.
Bring a snack to share at break.
If you have any questions contact Sara Glik at
Friday, June 17 2016
31st Annual BFMS Spring Catoctin Mountain Music and Dance Weekend
Friday June 17 to Sunday, June 19, 2016
Join dancers and musicians of all ages for a participatory intergenerational weekend of dancing, singing, workshops, jamming, crafts, hiking and more in a beautiful mountain setting from $89 per person.
Traditional American Dances
- Wednesday Night Contra and Square Dances Details...
- Wednesday, May 25 2016
Perry Shafran calls to Rambling House: Joe DeZarn (fiddle), Tina Eck (flute), Patrick Cavanaugh (banjo), and Marc Glickman (piano). New dancer orientation at 7:30 pm.
- New Dancer Workshops Details...
- Every 2nd and 4th Wednesday
- Family Dance Details...
- Second Saturday Dance Series Details...
- Saturday, June 11 2016
Sue Gola calls to Callithump:
Glyn Collinson (mandolin), David Knight (fiddle), and Andrew Marcus (accordion)
Workshop for beginners starts at 7:30pm. Dance starts at 8:00. Bring a snack & bring a friend.
- Midwinter Ball Details...
- In Janury. See the Midwinter Ball page for details.
Traditional English Dances
- Monday Night English Country Dances Details...
- Monday, May 30 2016
Carl Friedman calls to Emily Aubrey (violin), Robin Wilson (flute, concertina), and Judy Meyers (piano)
- Gentle English Country Dance Series Details...
- Gentle English" are English country dances from all periods selected to be gentle on the knees, hips, feet, and backs of the dancers. BFMS plans to hold three or four Gentle English dances a year.
- Playford Ball Details...
- In October. See the Playford Ball page for details.
- New Dancer Workshops and Classes Details...
- First Monday of the month
Other BFMS Events and Activities
- Fourth at Four StoryFolk Details...
- Sunday, June 26 2016
Storytelling at the Pickersgill Retirement Community
- Tellabration! Details...
- A night of storytelling celebrated world-wide on or about the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Guilds and storytelling enthusiasts all around the globe will share their storytelling talents in concerts held in cities and towns to celebrate the art of storytelling. Locally, TELLABRATION! brings together each area’s most celebrated storytellers, to delight, captivate, and mesmerize audiences with their tales.
- Friendly Coffeehouse Details...
- The Friendly Coffeehouse Open Mic is a BFMS-sponsored event, taking place on Second Fridays each month at 8 pm. It offers a friendly, supportive atmosphere for acoustic musicians, poets, storytellers and other folkies.
- J. Patrick's All-Stars Details...
- A community of musicians, dancers, and listeners who love the traditional music of Ireland.
- Catoctin Weekend Details...
- The Catoctin music and dance weekend getaway gives dancers and musicians of all ages a chance to attend a family-friendly weekend featuring folk music, crafts and dancing in a beautiful mountain setting.
- BFMS Board Meeting
- BFMS board meetings are almost always on the first Tuesday of the month and are open to BFMS members. If you would like to attend, please contact the BFMS President via email. president at bfms.org
To list a BFMS Event
Send the Date, Time, Location, Address, Type of event, Contact Information and Details of the event to events at bfms.org